KLIMAKRAFT research project:
treatment of sump
Refineries oil and gas
The X-Energy impulse project KLIMAKRAFT of HAW Hamburg is a pioneering research project dedicated to climate protection and the future of mobility. Its focus is on the development and optimization of an innovative process for the conversion of used fats into drop-in fuels, whereby our filters are used as part of the sump treatment.
The filtration task
sump/process residues from the conversion of used
fats into drop-in
In order to meet the filtration requirements for this project, we designed a slot-type filter for these special requirements. With this process, used fats are thermally cracked and deoxygenated. Depending on how the reactor system is operated, carbonaceous solids are produced which must be removed from the reactor system. We have therefore decided to pass the reactor contents through the FAUDI slot-type filter by means of a bypass system. In our slot-type filter, the solids in the suspension (sump) are concentrated and discharged, while the liquid components (sump oil) are fed back into the reactor.
Filtration system for sump treatment: TECHNICAL DATA
Type of filter
Slot-type filter type 84
Find the perfect
We will be happy to advise you and offer customized filtration technology for your filtration task.
Our solution in detail
Our customer’s research is based on the further development of the two-stage technology from the READi™-PtL project. In the first stage, bio-oils are obtained from residual and waste materials by thermochemical means. These bio-oils are then refined into liquid hydrocarbons in the second stage using hydrogenating hydrogen. The hydrogen required is produced by electrolyzing water with renewable electricity. This two-stage process belongs to the PtL (Power to Liquid) systems and offers potential for energy storage that stabilizes the power grid.
We have designed and manufactured a FAUDI slot-type filter in stainless steel for the treatment of sump within this process. It has a double cleaning device with an additional brush. Due to the high operating temperatures and the aggressive medium, we decided to use a high-temperature design for the rotating components.
Are you also interested in a customized slot-type filter?
Advantages with the FAUDI solution
Processing the product sump with our slot-type filter leads to optimum recycling and helps to make waste-based fuels available for mobility.
The slot-type filter was designed, manufactured and assembled as a pilot system individually according to the requirements of the research team and the extreme operating conditions.
Automatic filtration enables continuous and precise filtration. This leads to higher system availability and reduces maintenance requirements, which ultimately lowers operating costs.
What our customers say
As part of our research project, we had precise requirements for the pilot plant for sump treatment. FAUDI was able to implement these requirements very well and always provided us with competent advice.
Filtration of process residues with FAUDI slot-type filters.
You might also be interested in
- Customised filters for unloading tank wagonsOil reaches the refineries through the unloading of tank wagons. However, the dirt is also transported into the pipework by…
- KLIMAKRAFT research project: treatment of sump waterDas X-Energy Impulsprojekt KLIMAKRAFT der HAW Hamburg ist ein wegweisendes Forschungsvorhaben, das sich dem Klimaschutz und der Zukunft der Mobilität…
- Filtration of highly viscous refinery residuesFor the filtration of highly viscous refinery residues, FAUDI has designed a solution that can be used under special conditions:…
- A solution for the separation of liquid phasesFor the separation of liquid phases FAUDI supplied a complete process water coalescer package for an oil refinery in Oman.
- A solution for the separation of gas bubbles from hydrocarbonsThe filtration task of this project involves the separation of gas bubbles from hydrocarbons.
- An intelligent solution for amine washAmine washing with the FAUDI Amine Filtration System is a best practice to reduce loadings and achieve stable operation.
- An automatic filter for the filtration of nitrogenAn Indian petroleum company based in New Delhi uses Jet Pulse filters for the filtration of nitrogen.
- Filtration of light and heavy dieselFiltration of light and heavy diesel with FAUDI module filters type F28 - Fully automatic continuous process - Compact design…
- Efficient filtration operation in CGO filtrationCGO (Coker Gas Oil) filtration with a FAUDI modular filter system type F27 for efficient protection of dirt-sensitive catalyst beds.
- Filtration of sour water – a solution for refineriesIn this project, our FAUDI sieve basket filters are used in a refinery (in Germany) for the filtration of sour…
- An individual filtration system for reactor protectionTo protect downstream reactors, a FAUDI modular filter system type F29 ensures continuous and fully automatic filtration operation.
We will be glad to consult you
Together we will find the perfect solution for your filtration task.